2012 Pulls its Scaly Tail Out the Door

This was not a good year if you lived in New Jersey.  Mind you, those of us who live mid state have nothing to complain about.  Those who lived on the Shore far more, but – it was not a good year. No, indeed.

Neither was it a stellar year in perfume.  Everyone else in the blogosphere likes to compile best and worst of lists at this time of year, but alas, and woe is me,  I can’t find even five perfumes that moved me by their originality and wonderfulness this year.

If pressed, I found Encens Mythique  d’Orient (Guerlain) a beautiful French/Arab scent, less heavy handed than the majority of that sort of thing.  Invisible Monster, the CBIHATE PERFUME release, caught my attention.  That one captured the smell of greenery and mud in the Susquehanna River, and I had to declare an interest since I too grew up near the Susquehanna and the mud did have a particularly unctuous clay-ey smell to it. Very good.

Otherwise, nope, I did not get excited. There were two good re-workings of old perfumes, namely Silences, and now I find Vent Vert as well, but those two apart, I was not thrilled with 2012.  I thought 2011 a much better year.

This is- I know- slim pickings for a whole year in which there were lots and lots of releases. Sometimes it goes that way.  Am I the pickiest perfume person in creation?  Probably.  This year I was smelling more that was retro and enjoying it quite a lot.  It’s hard to go off the deep end about the latest Amouage when you have just spent two days with L’Aimant in vintage extract.

There are things I never smelled: a new Ayala Moriel, Treazon, a new Patricia de Nicolai, Musc Intense, and maybe there will be a worthwhile Caron next year. If I could ask the perfume world for favors, I would ask them to produce some green Orientals, to bring back Guerlain’s Djedi,  and to revivify the floral aldehyde reworked for the 21st century. While we’re at it, how about some new carnation perfumes that are not wash outs.  Sweet William, the Ineke-Anthropologie release smelled like a pretty carnation perfume in silhouette with all the carnation part cut out.

Really?  Seriously now, some of us like carnations , and some of us would like to smell them again.  Something green for 2013, that’s what I want!

This entry was posted in Perfume and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to 2012 Pulls its Scaly Tail Out the Door

Preach it, sister! (If 2012 doesn’t skulk across that threshold quick, that scaly tail is gonna get slammed in the door… and no bouquet of carnations will keep me from it.)

This year has got to have been one of the most&***!!!&% experiences in Jersey history. As I was saying to Michael one of the best aspects of 2012 was meeting you, writing to other blogging friends, and having such fun at Sniffapalooza. BUT – the weather, no, let us draw a veil of charity over the weather and what it did to the Shore. Seabright was enough to give one nightmares.

2. Michael says:

Blacknall, all the best for 2013. I hope it will be a great year for you and also a year in which you discover some perfume beauties. I discovered some very good stuff this year, but there are so many new releases that frankly I can hardly remember a tenth of them, if that. The best thing about 2012, perfume wise, was meeting a wonderful perfume buddy (and more) and getting to share perfumes and stories with other bloggers around the world. One perfume that did stand out for me (and not mentioned a huge amount) was Amouge’s Opus VI. Interlude seems to be getting all the praise and mention, but I personally found Opus VI better done. A lovely amber indeed.

Ditto Michael, ditto, I think the various perfume discussions have been one of the most interesting and rewarding parts of 2012 for me. I really enjoy my perfume friends and their various takes on the fragrance world, and well, the world generally.

As to things to try, must have missed some of the best things. Did try the Amouage Interludes, but they didn’t make an impact on me and maybe I should take a look at the Opus VI. So far Amouage is not a house I’ve fallen for. Must arrange some kind of a trade this year some Patous for some Ormonde Jaynes maybe?

2012 had its moments, but by and large it was disappointing in terms of new perfume releases. I liked Seville a l’Aube. Liked the Neela Vermeires. Liked L’Eau de Chloe and SSS Nostalgie and was fascinated/repelled by TdP Loretta. Disliked most of the mainstream stuff including Prada Infusion d’Iris Absolue, which I’d thought I’d do fine with given that I like the original version, although I did enjoy smelling Spicebomb. Did not smell anywhere NEAR the volume that I probably should have this year, but am unrepentant about it (except that I still haven’t even seen the new Silences which we were discussing earlier). Did not fall in love with anything new at all.

Roll on 2013.

Agree about 2012. The Eau de Chloe you mention was one of the nicer mainstream releases and I had forgotten it. Spicebomb much better to my mind than Flowerbomb, and Seville a l’Aube didn’t move me. I’ll have to sniff it again, but I find L’Artisan perfumes kind of like Etat Libre perfumes:front loaded. I prefer plain old Cologne Sologne at 40$ a bottle, beautiful in all phases. The L’Artisan drydowns smell like synthetic afterthoughts to me, and I’m always looking for the good dry down. A perfume really should be beautiful from start to finish, otherwise why are we giving it skin space? You recall how much you didn’t like Puredistance Antonia? Well that one peeved me because the dry down was synthetic, and I knew I’d smelled that material before, same thing with Mark Buxton’s Cologne Noire for Van Cleef and Arpels. Lovely formula…until you hit this Puffs Facial Tissue afterword!

Bottom line, the only thing I would maybe buy this year is new Vent Vert, and mostly for the wonderful drenched hyacinths bouquet! That dry down needs some vetiver.

I’m traveling so I just didn’t have time to think about my favorites from this year but I don’t remember being disappointed: there definitely were some hits for me. One of them – the same Guerlein from the trio that you’ve mentioned.
    Happy New Year!

That one Guerlain was a bright spot for me. The best things I smelled at Sniffapalooza were: Encens Mythique, Serge Lutens De Profundis and Golconda. But two of them were not 2012 productions.

Things I’m sorry I missed: SSS Nostalgie, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz’ YSL series, and the new Arquiste fragrance, Boutoniere?
      Enjoying the Dior New Look by the way, which is lovely.
      A very Happy and Healthy New Year to you too!

5. ChickenFreak says:

Most of the things that I loved this year were new-to-me artisan perfumes that had been around for a while – several Moriels, some Afteliers, others that I’m forgetting. But nothing new this year really knocked me down.

Ayala Moriel is someone whose work I don’t know and feel I should. As time goes on, I like natural perfumes, and or perfumes containing many naturals, and so I want to smell lines like hers.

As to 2012, it just wasn’t that stellar a year. They can’t all be gems, maybe 2013 will be better?